My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, January 05, 2015

Inkspell



My latest kindle book from the library is Inkspell by Cornelia Funke. It's one of my favorite books of all time, a fantasy, but I've never actually "read" it before, only listened to it because of my bad eyes ... now that it's in kindle, I have a chance to read it for the first time :)

The book is the second in the Inkheart trilogy and I've listened to the first book once, but I didn't like it a lot, so I've always re-listened to the second and third books of the trilogy, leaving out the first. The first book was made into a movie which starred Brendan Fraser as the main character in the trilogy, Mo ...



Two other characters from the book, Dustfinger and Gwin, were in the film as well ...



Here's the beginning of a review of the first book in The Guardian ...

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. Each chapter is headed by a quotation from a classic - Peter Pan, The BFG, The Wind in the Willows, The Hobbit and many more - which, in the traditional way of such quotes, often has little to do with the subject of the chapter. The headings work more as a rich sample of the books that lie behind Inkheart .

The basic, bookish idea is that Meggie's father Mo (often called Silvertongue) can, by reading aloud, fetch characters from a book through into the real world. Unfortunately, a living being is always transferred into the book at the same time. Nine years back, Mo read aloud from Fenoglio's Inkheart and unintentionally fetched all the baddies into reality, causing Meggie's mother to disappear into the book. The story opens with Meggie discovering this through the arrival of the unhappy trickster-figure, Dustfinger ...


And here's a trailer for the movie made of the first book ...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home