My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, December 08, 2013

The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas*

I've been getting a lot of hits on my old post about Polanski's Macbeth movie. I think that's because a movie about car racing that he made years ago is being re-released. When I think about Polanski I feel a kind of dread ... a 43 year old man drugged and raped a 13 year old, skipped the country after his conviction, ignored his financial responsibility in a civil suit, and went on to be wealthy, celebrated, and respected (link). Like the example of Bernard Law, his situation tells me that society, and the church in Law's case, pay only lip service to the idea that 'the least of these' have any worth.

*The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Found the short story, enjoyed it but it left me feeling vaguely guilty. I don't think I'm one of the ones that walked away. Also interesting to reread the comments from you earlier post. You have very thoughtful readers.

2:56 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh, me either, about walking away. I think I was just in a bad mood when I wrote this. The other day I read that Eric Clapton was for fox hunting and then I thought 'oh no, now I can't enjoy listening to his music anymore' but sometimes I still listen. Or I still buy milk even though I know the cows are enslaved. How do normal people figure all this stuff out??? ;)

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home