My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 10, 2012

A prayer

Last night when I went out to change the sprinklers, I heard what sounded like some small creature crying, kind of like a puppy but up high in a tree. It was dark and I couldn't see anything and eventually it stopped, but it sounded so sad. Today when mowing the lawn, I found a small dead animal - maybe a rat or a small possum - with my bad vision, I wasn't sure. Was it related somehow to the creature that was crying?

This reminded me of a post I saw yesterday at 13.7 Cosmos and Culture, Do Birds Hold Funerals?, and also of a post from long ago at the Episcopal Cafe, Freaks for Christ: Mourning Brother Squirrel. The last post has a prayer for the squirrel, and I offer it for the little creature I found today .....

Blessed are you, O God of all creation, we give you thanks for the life of this squirrel, your creature. Now receive him into your eternal care where he might enjoy you forever according to his estate; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Hi Crystal, somehow your poignant story lead me back to an essay I read many years ago by Loren Eiseley in which he wonders about the little lives of little creatures, in this case the starfish. Its called "The Star Thrower" and can be found at (http://www.american-buddha.com/unexpec.univ.eiseley.htm). Best, Richard

11:27 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Richard. I'll take a look.

1:26 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

So, that was written by Loren Eiseley? I looked him up in Wikipedia - an interesting person! I'll have to read some more of his stuff. That essay reminds me of a smal bit from a poem by Adrienne Rich ....

My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
so much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who age after age, perversely,
with no extraordinary power,
reconstitute the world.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Thanks Crystal,I like that. I really enjoyed his book "The Immense Journey ", it would be a good to listen to if you can find an audio version.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home