My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Republipocalypse



Trying to imagine he future under Romney/Ryan ....

Mr. Ryan’s Cramped Vision

[...] As House Budget Committee chairman, Mr. Ryan has drawn a blueprint of a government that will be absent when people need it the most. It will not be there when the unemployed need job training, or when a struggling student needs help to get into college. It will not be there when a miner needs more than a hardhat for protection, or when a city is unable to replace a crumbling bridge. And it will be silent when the elderly cannot keep up with the costs of M.R.I.’s or prescription medicines, or when the poor and uninsured become increasingly sick through lack of preventive care. More than three-fifths of the cuts proposed by Mr. Ryan, and eagerly accepted by the Tea Party-driven House, come from programs for low-income Americans. That means billions of dollars lost for job training for the displaced, Pell grants for students and food stamps for the hungry. These cuts are so severe that the nation’s Catholic bishops raised their voices in protest at the shredding of the nation’s moral obligations ...

Dystopia :(


4 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

But what a great movie! I remember the day I saw it in a theater in Park City, UT shortly after its release in 1982 the same year that Phillip K Dick died. Ronald Reagan was in the second year of a two term presidency followed by another four for George H. W. Bush. You know the rest. Still waiting for those flying taxicabs but 2019 doesn't seem so far away any more. (hard to ignore the irony that I have to "prove I'm not a robot" to post this)

6:39 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

"hard to ignore the irony that I have to "prove I'm not a robot" to post this"

heh

I don't remember when I first saw the movie, but I remember that I had read the book earlier and thought how different they were. It was a great movie .... the empathy test, the speech the replicant gave just before hr died, EJ Olmos and his little origami animals :) Maybe time to rent again.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

I just ordered the director's cut from netflix. I don't think I've watched it all the way through since the first time. I recently found an curious letter by PKD himself regarding the movie. Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.philipkdick.com/new_letters-laddcompany.html

7:23 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

He really liked it - interesting :)

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home