My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, June 29, 2012

Prometheus



I finally saw Prometheus, Ridley Scott's prequel to the Alien franchise. I'm sorry to say that I found it really disappointing.

I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone, so I'll just be general. The film did have some very nice special effects and some cool/grand visual imagery, like the alien's celestial hologram pictured at the top of this post, or the use of the primordial-looking Icelandic Dettifoss waterfall .....



But having said that, I found most of the characters' motivations/actions pretty unconvincing, the science fiction outweighed by the horror, and the Chariots of the Gods storyline just dopey.

I think the review in The Village Voice is the one that most fits my own feelings about the movie.

Sad. I had high hopes for the film. Is it still worth seeing? I think it's worth a watch but I wish I'd waited and rented instead.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

I agree, very disappointing, seemed like it had everything but a coherent screenplay. I guess I liked Fassbinder as the android. Funny that it got so many good reviews.

1:59 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Richard,

It's good to get someone else's opinion. I went with my sister and her husband and they were disappointed too.

Yes, the actor playing the android was good. He's been in many of the movies I've seen lately - Haywire, the film about Freud, the latest X-Men movie. My favorite android in the Alien movies is still Lance Henriksen, though :)

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home