My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 10, 2010

Jesus and Spiderman

There's a video at Mark Goodacre's NT blog on the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, with one of the commentators being JD Crossan. I read that non-canonical gospel a few years ago, and I was horrified :) because it features the child Jesus as a kind of Bad Seed or one of the inhabitants of The Village of the Damned who murders those who try his patience. Crossan comments that Jesus does seem to learn from his errors in judgement throughout that gospel, but still - eek!

The retreat I once participated in had a week (A Hidden Life for Thirty Years) when we were to contemplate the missing years of Jesus, the years that aren't recorded between his early childhood and his baptism. In my contemplations I never considered the possibilities related in the Infancy Gospel. I guess I'd been harboring an assumption about Jesus - that he was always good, never morally ambiguous, even when he was a child (but then there was that incident at the temple in Jerusalem .... uh oh).

Here's a different video, one with Joseph Uncle Ben telling Jesus Peter that with great power comes great responsibility :) ....




4 Comments:

Blogger victor said...

>>I guess I'd been harboring an assumption about Jesus - that he was always good, never morally ambiguous, even when he was a child (but then there was that incident at the temple in Jerusalem .... uh oh).<<

I can only guess that Jesus wanted to do His Father's Will so much that nothing else mattered more at the time. Having been taken to the temple when He was only about 40 days old and then His Mother and Joseph probably took Him, I would imagine, at least once a year to Jerusalem where He met so many doctors of the faith and kind of like Spider Man, He wanted so much to help humanity that He started at an early year but figured that He should wait till He was about 30 before doing what He was sent to do.

As a parent, I lost one of our daughter for less than five minutes while I was baby sitting but I can only still imagine what Mary and Joseph must have gone through during those so called three days that He was missing but between you and me, I would still say that Jesus was always good. Agree?

Still love me crystal? :)

7:42 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I don't have children but I lost my cat Kermit once for only about five minutes too - so scary!

I guess I do want to believe Jesus was never thoughtless - not sure what that says about me.

12:16 AM  
Blogger victor said...

Still love me crystal? :)

crystal, I thought that you might comment on the above and I was going to explain "IT" in this way. I read somewhere which was very convincing, to me at least, that when you say God Bless, "IT" was the same as saying I love you for that particular person but he or she, I think was talking about atheist.

Victor takes foot out of mouth and then put the other foot in! Still love me crystal? :)

I'll close by saying that the reason I think that you did not comment on "IT", as far as some of my brain cells are concern, is because I've noticed at least one good quality in you which is that any time you can't find something nice to say, you don't say much, well for me at least and again for what "IT" is also worth, the cleaning lady agrees with that assumption of mine. :)

God Bless,

Peace

9:21 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Victor,

I am not good at expressing feelings so I feel uncomfortable ever doing so, and I'm not really sure if I have all the warm affirmative feeling most people do anyway. When people speak of love, I feel anxious :)

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home