My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Hanacpachap cussicuinin

I think I posted this before but then deleted it (?) so ....

Today I came across a YouTube of Ex Cathedra Baroque Ensemble performing Hanacpachap cussicuinin from Moon, Sun & All Things: Baroque Music from Latin America – 2. I first heard the song on one of the mp3s at Pray-As-You-Go and I liked it so much I bought the CD, copied it, then sold the CD back. Then my computer died, taking all my music with it, so I lost the song. Nice to find it again.



The song is said to be one of the first polyphonic pieces of music composed and published in the new world. It's sung in the Quechuan language of San Pedro de Andahuaylillas in Peru. The composer of the song is unknown, but it was first published in the early 1600s. Here below is the song in its original language, with an English translation ...

Hanacpachap cussicuinin
Huaran cacta muchascaiqui
Yupairurupucoc mallqui
Runacunap suyacuinin
Callpan nacpa quemi cuinin
Huaciascaita.

Uyarihuai muchascaita
Diospa rampan Diospa maman
Yurac tocto hamancaiman
Yupascalla, collpascaita
Huahuarquiman suyuscaita
Ricuchillai.


O tree bearing thrice-blessed fruit,
Heaven’s joy! a thousand times
shall we praise you.
O hope of humankind,
helper of the weak.
hear our prayer!

Attend to our pleas,
O column of ivory, Mother of God!
Beautiful iris, yellow and white,
receive this song we offer you;
come to our assistance,
show us the Fruit of your womb!


4 Comments:

Blogger Mike L said...

Susannah really liked it and so did I, so the CD should arrive tomorrow, in time for Christmas.

Uh, could you pick cheaper CDs from now on :). Kidding, thanks for your pointing this out to us.

Hugs,

Mike L

4:37 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I hope you like it. That was my favorite song from the CD but there is a nice one about Ignatius Loyola too. If you don't like it much, burn the music and sell it back, like I did :)

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Laura said...

Crystal...thx so much for your research on this music....the language and the words.....I came across this on a Catholic meditation website and felt it was haunting music that I had to have......I've ordered the CD sun moon and all things but have to wait a month for it..��

1:05 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

:)

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home