My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Edward Schillebeeckx RIP

America magazine's blog has a post about Edward Schillebeeckx who died a few days ago. Here's the intro from his Wikipedia page ...

Edward Cornelis Florentius Alfonsus Schillebeeckx (12 November 1914 in Antwerp, Belgium – 23 December 2009 in Nijmegen, Netherlands) was a Belgian Roman Catholic theologian. He lived for almost fifty years in Nijmegen, teaching theology at the Catholic University until his retirement. After that he continued writing. Well in his nineties he still wanted to finish a major book about the Sacraments. He died from natural causes. He was a member of the Dominican Order. His books on theology have been translated into many languages, and his contributions to the Second Vatican Council made him known throughout the world.

I wish I could say I knew more about him. There are only a few brief comments on him in John O'Malley's book, What Happened at Vatican II, and most of what I've found at The Edward Schillebeeckx Foundation is in Dutch or not available online, but I did come across this page which has links (some dead) to a few of his his sermons and articles, plus some articles about him by others.

While looking him up, though, I visited the Centre for the Study of the Second Vatican Council which has some interesting files in its archives, including some mp3 files from Vatican II. Sadly, hardly any of them are in English, but if you understand Spanish you can listen to a couple of talks by Pedro Arrupe, of if German, one by the now pope, and there are a couple by Schillebeeckx (in French and Dutch). I'm about to listen to one by John Courtney Murray SJ on religious liberty :)


4 Comments:

Blogger PrickliestPear said...

I read his Jesus: An Experiment in Christology when I was an undergrad, and thought it was brilliant. I definitely recommend it.

9:17 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

PrickliestPear,

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll look for it.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Church with a Human Face is great too.

9:37 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Ann :)

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home