My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

St. Jude and Bertel Thorvaldsen


- statue of Saint Jude Thaddeus by Bertel Thorvaldsen, Vor Frue Kirke, Copenhagen

St. Jude Thaddeus is invoked in desperate situations because his New Testament letter stresses that the faithful should persevere in the environment of harsh, difficult circumstances, just as their forefathers had done before them. Therefore, he is the patron saint of desperate cases. - Wikipedia

When I began this post, it was supposed to be about St. Jude, but while looking for a picture of him I got sidetracked by Bertel Thorvaldsen (19 November 1770 – 24 March 1844) , the a Danish/ Icelandic sculptor who did the statue of Jude shown above. Here's some more of his work .....


- The Lion Monument (Löwendenkmal) in Lucerne, Switzerland, commemorating the sacrifice of more than six hundred Swiss Guards who died defending the Tuileries during the French Revolution .... I actually saw this on my one trip to Europe :)


- a baptismal font at Vor Frue Kirke


- the statue of Jesus at Vor Frue Kirke. This statue has been extensively copied, one copy ending up, of all places, in Salt Lake City with the Mormons


- the monument to Pius VII at St. Peter's


3 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

My wife is a Mormon and I've logged many years in Utah and have noticed that Mormon's seem to go with the "Buff" Jesus.

5:40 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Richard,

Yes, it does seem like they like a certain style - for instance, I like the paintings by Del Parson who is Mormon (I think).

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home