My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Garry Wills - What Jesus Meant

One of the books I'd like to read is Garry Wills' What Jesus Meant, but the library doesn't have it in audio. I noticed, though, that Google books has it online (or bits of it) and I can read it there in large enough font size to make it other than a pain. I'm reading it with trepidation because I'm afraid that it will shred my nice warm fuzzy Jesus, but still I'm reading it. Here's a Chesterton quote that Wills has in the foreword .....

*

We have all heard people say a hundred times over, for they seem never to tire of saying it, that the Jesus of the New Testament is indeed a most merciful and human lover of humanity, but that the Church has hidden this human character in repellent dogmas and stiffened it with ecclesiastical terrors till it has taken on an inhuman character. This is, I venture to repeat, very nearly the reverse of the truth. The truth is that it is the image of Christ in the churches that is almost entirely mild and merciful. It is the image of Christ in the gospels that is a good many other things as well. The figure in the gospels does indeed utter in words of almost heartbreaking beauty his pity for our broken hearts. But they are very far from being the only sort of words that he utters ....

There is something appalling, something that makes the blood run cold, in the idea of having a statue of Christ in wrath. There is something insupportable even to the imagination in the idea of turning the corner of a street or coming out into the spaces of a marketplace, to meet the petrifying petrifacation of that figure as it turned upon a generation of vipers, or that face as it looked at the face of a hypocrite ... [The gospel story] is full of sudden gestures evidently significant except that we hardly know what they signify; of enigmatic silences; of ironical replies. The outbreaks of wrath, like storms above our atmosphere, do not seem to break out exactly where we should expect them, but to follow some higher weather chart of their own. The Peter whom popular Church teaching presents is very rightly the Peter to whom Christ said in forgiveness, "Feed my lambs." He is not the Peter upon whom Christ turned as if he were the devil, crying in that obscure wrath, "Get thee behind me, Satan." Christ lamented with nothing but love and pity over Jerusalem which was to murder him. We do not know what strange spiritual atmosphere or spiritual insight led him to sink Bethsaida lower in the pit than Sodom.

*

Yikes!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Dyan said...

I like that about Jesus - he doesn't let us get away with stuff which is how we know he's a true friend!

8:23 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Dyan,

Actually, I like that about him too. I was just reading a post at another blog about how being spiritual meant being emotionally detached. Jesus was anything but emotionally detached. I just don't like the idea of him being mad at me :)

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Dyan said...

I think just the fact that you don't want him mad at you proves that he wouldn't have any reason to ;)

12:02 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Ha, if only that were true :)

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home