My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nightfishing

- Gjertrud Schnackenberg

The kitchen's old-fashioned planter's clock portrays
A smiling moon as it dips down below
Two hemispheres, stars numberless as days,
And peas, tomatoes, onions, as they grow
Under that happy sky; but though the sands
Of time put on this vegetable disguise,
The clock covers its face with long, thin hands.
Another smiling moon begins to rise.

We drift in the small rowboat an hour before
Morning begins, the lake weeds grown so long
They touch the surface, tangling in an oar.
You've brought coffee, cigars, and me along.
You sit still, like a monument in a hall,
Watching for trout. A bat slices the air
Near us, I shriek, you look at me, that's all,
One long sobering look, a smile everywhere
But on your mouth. The mighty hills shriek back.
You turn back to the hake, chuckle, and clamp
Your teeth on your cigar. We watch the black
Water together. Our tennis shoes are damp.
Something moves on your thoughtful face, recedes.
Here, for the first time ever, I see how,
Just as a fish lurks deep in water weeds,
A thought of death will lurk deep down, will show
One eye, then quietly disappear in you.
It's time to go. Above the hills I see
The faint moon slowly dipping out of view,
Sea of Tranquillity, Sea of Serenity,
Ocean of Storms... You start to row, the boat
Skimming the lake where light begins to spread.
You stop the oars, midair. We twirl and float.

I'm in the kitchen. You are three days dead.
A smiling moon rises on fertile ground,
White stars and vegetables. The sky is blue.
Clock hands sweep by it all, they twirl around,
Pushing me, oarless, from the shore of you.


5 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Lovely poem, Crystal. Where did you run across it? I love the image of "a smile everywhere / but on your mouth."

8:20 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

PS: Here's the subject of the poem, most likely.

8:23 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Susan. I found the poem here.

Robert Nozick is the subject of the poem?

9:16 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh, I see - she was married to him and he passed away. How do you know these things? :)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I would love to say something cryptic, such as, "I know all..." But I believe it was you who introduced me to Wikipedia several years ago. :-)

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home