My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Sherlock Holmes


- poster for The Seven Percent Solution by Richard Amsel

The latest audio book CD I've been listening to is The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's not one story but a collection of a number of them, as told by Dr. Watson, Sherlock Holmes' friend, and detailing the detective cases he and Holmes worked on.

I'd never read the book before, though I knew of it, of course, and had seen the movie Young Sherlock Holmes (too much fun :), the film The Seven Percent Solution in which Holmes sees Sigmund Freud for help with his cocaine addiction, and a made for tv movie, Case of Evil, which starred James D'Arcy as Holmes and Vincent D'Onofrio as Professor Moriarty.

The book is worth a read!

9 Comments:

Blogger victor said...

I have not read it all yet but I hope that this post is your way of kissing UP with Britain if you know what I mean? :)

Peace!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Liam said...

I remember reading a Sherlock Holmes story that had to do with Utah and the Mormons -- A Study in Scarlett, his first published story. Sherlock is on my reading list.

I'm also looking forward to the movie they're making with Robert Downey, Jr.

Victor -- don't say that, you'll get my Irish up! ;)

9:12 AM  
Blogger victor said...

Please don't do that Liam cause the last thing this world needs is another war with the Irish!

My wife has a little Irish in her, French and English also and I don't call her Gail Winds on occasions for nothing. :)

God Bless them all!

9:24 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Victor,

Yeah, maybe it is :)

10:25 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Liam,

I just read one about the Ku Klux Klan - The Five Orange Pips. He was all over the place. Robet Downey, Jr as Holmes? That should be good.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Robert Downey as an actor, but he is far too short in stature to play the lean,6'4 Holmes described by author Conan Doyle.

I think that Robert would be right as the arch-villain, Dr. James Moriarty.

3:22 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

He's a good actor and I think he'll do a good job of it, but you're right - he doesn't physically fit my image of Holmes either. Someone like Jeremy Irons might be good :)

3:31 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Holmes is great. I've read all of the stories, I think.

I like the idea of Downey Jr. as Holmes. I don't like the idea of Guy Ritchie as director of the Holmes movie.

Hey, King Kong was only 18" tall in real life. Funny what cameras can do for an actor, though. And Downey's a good enough actor that I think he'll be able to play "tall."

9:01 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi William,

I like Downey too. I read that the movie will be based more on the Sherlock Holmes comic books, which may have a different kind of Holmes?

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home