My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

If it's Tuesday: part 2


- the peak of Mt. Pilatus, Switzerland (this photo and all the others are from Wikipedia Commons)

This is the second part of my post on the one trip I and my family made to Europe, long, long ago (part 1) ......

Day 14 - next we were off to Inssbruck, Austria through the Dolomites (the Alps!) ....


- Innsbruck

We were pretty shell-shocked by this time, but happy too because we could finally put our college German to the test :) From here we drove through Liechtenstein to Lucerne, Switzerland. I remember Lucerne well - I had an open-faced asparagus sandwich in a restaurant there and later we all had a very strange pizza (with capers). Still later, while my brave sister took a cable car to the top of Mt. Pilatus, my mom and I walked around the city and looked at the lake and the covered bridge.


- Lake Lucerne and covered bridge

Then we were off for Germany, driving through the Black Forest, home to the giant earthworm :) and cookoo clocks. I so much wanted to buy one (clock, not worm) but too expensive. We then passed through the university town of Heidelberg, ending up in Frankfurt.


- Heidelberg Castle on the hill behind Old Bridge

From Frankfurt, we took a boat trip on the Rhine ....


- the Rheingau

.... then got back on the bus and drove to Cologne (one of the German cities devistatingly bombed in WWII) where we visited the cathedral and a MacDonald's that got their hamburgers out of cans (I only ate fries, of course).


- the Gero Crucifix in Cologne cathedral

Next we passed through Amsterdam, Netherlands, checking out the Rijksmuseum and a place that sold diamonds.


- the Prince's Canal in Amsterdam

We went through Rotterdam the next day and on to Brussels, Belgium. I don't remember a lot about Brussels, aside from the dinner there - my sister and I were the only vegetarians in the tour so we often ended up eating weird things, but at this hotel they made us wonderful omelettes filled with vegetables.


- Grand Place, the central market square of Brussels

Days 20 and 21 - Paris. Our first day's tour encompassed the usual suspects - Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, etc., The second day we were on our own and were so pooped that we didn't do much, just rode the metro around the city and visited the Louvre


- Notre Dame de Paris

And then it was home again, home again, jiggity jig.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As tiring as that sounds, I still think I'd like to tour Europe that way!

10:45 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Dyan,

It does let you cover a lot of ground. We knew we'd probably not ever get another chance to go.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

The worms would have been a lot cheaper, Crystal. I think the trip sounds like a lot of fun . . . for the young and energetic. :-)

2:46 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Susan :)

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home