My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Lorica

I heard a hymn - Be Thou My Vision - tonight on an episode of Without a Trace. I had never heard it before and liked it enough to look it up. Here's some of what Wikipedia says of it ....

Be Thou My Vision is a traditional Christian hymn, which can be traced to Ireland ..... The text (Rop tú mo baile) is often attributed to Dallan Forgaill in the 8th century; in any case, this text had been a part of Irish monastic tradition for centuries before the hymn itself was written. It is an example of a lorica, an incantation recited for protection ..... The music is the Irish folk song, Slane, which is about Slane Hill where in 433 A.D. St. Patrick defied the pagan High King Lóe­gaire of Ta­ra by lighting candles on Easter Eve .....

Here's the English translation of the lyrics ...

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.


6 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Beautiful, Crystal. Thanks for that.

Dallan and the Bardic Order, eh?

God reattached his head to his body after being martyred.

Good deal. Makes the Resurrection of the Body just a wee bit easier.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorites. I have at least three versions in my iPod. I need to make it my morning hymn on a regular basis, I think. Thanks for the reminder.

6:34 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Jeff, "no assemblage required" :-)

10:18 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Diane,

I'm going to look online and see if I can find an mp3 of it so I can play it on the computer. Why does everyone but me have an iPod? (sniffle)

10:19 AM  
Blogger PamBG said...

This is a very well known hymn in the UK - more or less a beloved standard.

At my theology college, we were required to be as gender-neutral as we possibly could. We came up with a very good change for the 'men' in the lyrics, but I've totally forgotten what the changes were!

Now there's a totally unhelpful post! ;-)

3:49 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Pam,

I wonder if it's more known here in areas of Irish immigrants? I envy you living in England :-)

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home