My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day



No, not the holiday, the movie :-)

It's one most people have seen, yet still I cannot stop myself from taking this opportunity to write about it, for it has it all ... creepy aliens, government conspiracies (Area 51), romance, Apple computers (you guys aren't PC users, are you?), pathos and self-sacrifice, and a lot of actors I like ... Bull Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, and best of all, Brent Spiner (Data!). as a slightly mad scientist.

Wikipedia writes ...

ndependence Day (or ID4) is an American science fiction movie about an attempted alien takeover of Earth .... The world is in shock on July 2 as an alien ship stated to be about one quarter the mass of the moon and over 550 kilometres in diameter enters the Earth's orbit and deploys several smaller ships, each one over fifteen miles in diameter, that settle over many of the world's major cities. Using advanced technology, the aliens destroy these cities along with millions of people. Conventional missiles and nuclear weapons are useless against them, as the alien ships are strongly shielded by impenetrable force fields. The President of the United States, a veteran fighter pilot of the Gulf War, leads the human resistance from Area 51, where the military has kept an alien fighter spacecraft that crash-landed in the 1950s, to ultimate victory over the invading aliens. The movie climaxes on July 4 as the humans use the alien fighter to infiltrate the mothership, activating a computer virus to disrupt the aliens' shields, and sneaking a nuclear missile aboard. The disruption of the shields opens a window of opportunity for humans to strike back and destroy the smaller alien ships and fighter craft. During the counterattack, an American volunteer pilot flies his jet into the path of an alien ship as it is deploying its primary beam weapon, which causes it to crash. Task forces around the world use the same tactic to destroy the rest of the alien battleships, ultimately saving Earth.

The movie did not get good reviews ... it was a bit jingoistic and obvious ... and Roger Ebert's assessment of the film was not pretty ...

... Independence Day'' is not just an inheritor of the 1950s flying saucer genre, it's a virtual retread ....Representing the human race here are not only David the techhead and the president, but also assorted blacks, Jews, Arabs, Brits, exotic dancers, homosexuals, cute kids, generals, drunken cropdusters, tight-lipped defense secretaries and `The McLaughlin Group.' There is not a single character in the movie who doesn't wear an invisible label .... As the president readies Earth's response, it is clear much will depend on a jerry-built solution by David, whom Goldblum plays as a hemming and hawing genius. His plan, after he devises it, depends on fighter ace Steven Hiller (Will Smith) for its delivery. But what Goldblum comes up with, I cannot reveal. No, I insist. I only observe that it is a wonder these aliens have traveled across uncounted light-years of space and yet have never thought of a computer virus protection program. (My theory is that any aliens who could be taken in by this particular plan probably arrived here after peddling across space on bicycles.)
- read Ebert's whole review here

Oh well, flawed as the movie might have been, it was still fun and didn't take itself too seriously. And that factor does matter in aliens-taking-over-the-world movies ... think back to Tom Cruise and The War of the Worlds and you'll know what I mean :-)


- Brent Spiner, Bill Pullman and James Rebhorn


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee! And I was looking forward to seeing this movie with my two imaginary friends "Frank and Charlie" but now you spoiled IT all so what do we do now crystal?

(LOL!?)

4:02 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Well Victor, you can rent The Patriot. Same theme of independance. Not science fiction but Mel does throw a mean tomahawk.

Sorry if I did indeed spoil it for you ... itt would still be worth watching for the special effect, even if you already know the ending :-)

4:13 PM  
Blogger Darius said...

We're so good at the special effects now. Someday there'll be a movie combining that with a good plot!

I'm not a big movie buff, but for special effects, I couldn't believe the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. Was staying at my cousin's at the time and just happened to get up for some water - had gone to bed. They had the video on a big-screen TV with all the lights off in the house, and the second I glanced up I immediately recognized it from having seen footage of D-Day.

It was actually very weird - went in an instant from half asleep to wide awake and feeling like I was in the line of fire. Amazing how they brought those grainy black and white scenes to life. Went to bed late...

7:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah I agree with Ebert -- dumb cliche ridden movie -- but it was FUN!

And Aliens was awful as SF goes -- but it made the big bucks. So, the elsson goes, don't expect Casablanca when you buy tickets to a summer thriller -- justturn off the old brain box and enjoy the roller coaster.

7:29 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Darius, I'm glad you're back to blogworld :-) I was impressed by that openning scene in Saving Private Ryan too ... it was almost like being there and actually painful to watch.

11:33 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi David - thanks for coming by :-)

I loved Aliens! Roller coaster ride movies are so much fun. Maybe we need all kinds - mindless but thrilling blockbusters and sensitive dramas ... add a comedy once in a while (like Dumb and Dumber :-) and you have a complete meal.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

I like movies that are just fun, even if there's not ,uch of a plot and/or it's predictable. I get enough seriousness via my work every day! Which I happily do with a nice little Dell laptop, by the way.

Ages ago I had the first little Mac laptop, and it was great except I was fairly isolated in the business world.

4:08 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Steve :-). I've only had Macs, never tried a PC ... my sister started me on an old Classic and I've never looked back.

10:51 AM  
Blogger PV said...

Crystal, Independence Day was sweet, a bit silly and funny. I love it.:-).You were right: much better than other on the topic.

Talking about computers: my Doktorvater (PhD supervisor)has only Macs and he advice everybody to get Macs...i can understand why...but they are quite expensive here in Europe, so I am doing well with a PC laptop, Sony Vaio. Very reliable.:-).

11:17 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

OOps - bad classic link above. Here's a good one ... link

Paula - hi. Here Macs are more expensive too, I think. But they are better in so many ways, including virus safety, and sound, etc. But I have an older, all an one model (not laptop) made mostly for educational purposes - the emac.

11:36 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Argh! Am I in link hell? Here's the emac link - emac

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home