My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Shorts: the Entropy of Costume


- the Buddha and me (I'm the one in shorts) in Hawaii

The last couple of days, there have been posts on another blog about what people should wear to church. One brave male commenter admitted that he occassionally wore shorts to church :-)

This talk of shorts reminded me of an article I read at the Tablet (A Voice from the Bush) about poet Les Murray (see his poem The Dream of Wearing Shorts Forever below). Murray, a leading Australian poet, is a Catholic convert. Here's a bit of the article ...

With his furiously outspoken enmity towards what he calls the "confining" ideologies that dominate intellectual and academic discourse, his apparent role as "spokesman" for the poor rural whites of his childhood and, most provocative and bewildering, his Catholicism, Murray is a thorn in the flesh of the urban cultural elite. But it has not prevented him being Australia's most popular poet, considered the poetic voice of the nation - and he is among the best-known poets in the world, in the ranks of Heaney and Walcott ... (snip) ... trying to draw from Murray something of why he was drawn to the Church is difficult. From such a fluent, trenchant, confrontational wordsmith, this is curious. Finally, he says: "I joined the Catholic Church because it is the best poem." And later he adds: "You can never exhaust it. It was the mysticism, the mystery that appealed to me."


The Dream Of Wearing Shorts Forever

To go home and wear shorts forever
in the enormous paddocks, in that warm climate,
adding a sweater when winter soaks the grass,

to camp out along the river bends
for good, wearing shorts, with a pocketknife,
a fishing line and matches,

or there where the hills are all down, below the plain,
to sit around in shorts at evening
on the plank verandah -

If the cardinal points of costume
are Robes, Tat, Rig and Scunge,
where are shorts in this compass?

They are never Robes
as other bareleg outfits have been:
the toga, the kilt, the lava-lava
the Mahatma's cotton dhoti;

archbishops and field marshals
at their ceremonies never wear shorts.
The very word
means underpants in North America.

Shorts can be Tat,
Land-Rovering bush-environmental tat,
socio-political ripped-and-metal-stapled tat,
solidarity-with-the-Third World tat tvam asi,

likewise track-and-field shorts worn to parties
and the further humid, modelling negligee
of the Kingdom of Flaunt,
that unchallenged aristocracy.

More plainly climatic, shorts
are farmers' rig, leathery with salt and bonemeal;
are sailors' and branch bankers' rig,
the crisp golfing style
of our youngest male National Costume.

Most loosely, they are Scunge,
ancient Bengal bloomers or moth-eaten hot pants
worn with a former shirt,
feet, beach sand, hair
and a paucity of signals.

Scunge, which is real negligee
housework in a swimsuit, pyjamas worn all day,
is holiday, is freedom from ambition.
Scunge makes you invisible
to the world and yourself.

The entropy of costume,
scunge can get you conquered by more vigorous cultures
and help you notice it less.

To be or to become
is a serious question posed by a work-shorts counter
with its pressed stack, bulk khaki and blue,
reading Yakka or King Gee, crisp with steely warehouse odour.

Satisfied ambition, defeat, true unconcern,
the wish and the knack of self-forgetfulness
all fall within the scunge ambit
wearing board shorts of similar;
it is a kind of weightlessness.

Unlike public nakedness, which in Westerners
is deeply circumstantial, relaxed as exam time,
artless and equal as the corsetry of a hussar regiment,

shorts and their plain like
are an angelic nudity,
spirituality with pockets!
A double updraft as you drop from branch to pool!

Ideal for getting served last
in shops of the temperate zone
they are also ideal for going home, into space,
into time, to farm the mind's Sabine acres
for product and subsistence.

Now that everyone who yearned to wear long pants
has essentially achieved them,
long pants, which have themselves been underwear
repeatedly, and underground more than once,
it is time perhaps to cherish the culture of shorts,

to moderate grim vigour
with the knobble of bare knees,
to cool bareknuckle feet in inland water,
slapping flies with a book on solar wind
or a patient bare hand, beneath the cadjiput trees,

to be walking meditatively
among green timber, through the grassy forest
towards a calm sea
and looking across to more of that great island
and the further tropics.

***

Read more of Murray's poems here


16 Comments:

Blogger Talmida said...

I enjoyed that Crystal, thanks.

:)

5:00 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Talmida ... thank you for dropping by :-)

6:39 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Hi Crystal,

I hardly ever wear shorts. Ever. I'm as pale as Caspar the friendly ghost. I'm afraid I'll blind people. :-)

I don't know what blog you're referring to, but those types of comments I've seen in the past usually come from some newly married guy with very young children. I kid with them saying - Never mind the tanned legs. Those days are all over for you now. Leave the young girls alone. Just cop yourself on and concentrate on the Mass. :-)

7:06 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Jeff. I'm actually a very pale person too but I strove mightily to get a tan for vacation in Hawaii.

I always worried about what I was wearing in church (usually nice jeans and a shirt) because everyone else was so dressed up. Little did I know that the others were not so concerned with my lack of style as they were with someone else's decalage :-)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Hi Crystal,

Actually, I do think people should make an effort to be more formal at Mass. We could all do with a little more reverence. Now that they've made an EOM out of me, I try to wear a jacket and tie on Sunday mornings, and I haven't even worn a tie to work in about ten years. :-)

My older sons and daughters are altar servers, and I try to make sure they wear nice shoes that will show under their albs instead of sneakers.

Tanning... When I was a kid I used to get really bad burns so that I could tan up later. You know thopse burns wear you can peel off the skin in big sheets? I sure hope I won't pay too badly for it someday. Now I try to cover up.

Maybe it's an East Coast - West Coast thing. You mention Hawaii... Years ago my brother and I went on one of those hiking tour vacations in Hawaii, sleeping in tents or outside in the open all over Kauai, Molokai, the big island and Maui. East Coast is different from West Coast, and Hawaii is West Coast to the Nth degree. We had a great time, but these poor guides didn't know what to make of these East Coast freaks with their funny accents bragging about Cape Cod beaches all the time. Different worlds. Real different. :-)

8:46 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Jeff, I have hardly been at all to the east coast, just a couple of trips through to get to Bermuda. I spent part of my childhood there and my stepfather is Bermudian. The west coast is more casual, I think, and Hawaii especially so.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

I got some shorts for my birthday :)

I don't wear shorts to church though. I read the smae post at Todd's place and just smiled. He's right, in my opinion, on the victim mentality.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Liam said...

I am as Irish as they come and suffered for a long time the attacks of people accusing me of being too pale. That kind of attitude gave my sister skin tumors (she's all right now). I wear shorts when it's really hot, although I feel weird going downtown in them -- I almost never did in Madrid, where I learned to be very formal. But when it's nasty and humid in NYC in July, you need all the help you can get.

I would prefer people to dress up for Church and I would never go in shorts myself, but I wouldn't criticize other people about it. It seems rather petty.

As far as the young ladies dressed in a provocative manner, well gentlemen, if you're that easily distracted, you should be praying for more of an attentions span...

I love the quote about the Catholic Church being "the best poem." I think there is a connection between my faith and my love of poetry as well.

7:50 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Steve - again, happy birthday! :-)

10:59 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:14 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Liam,

I was teased a lot in school for being so pale, especially out here in California where everyone is tanned.

I've never worn shorts or anything I think could be called immodest in church, though I don't have many dress-up clothes so more often wear nice jeans..

1:44 PM  
Blogger Liam said...

Pale people of the world unite! We will wear shorts if we want to (but maybe not in Church), and if you don't like the glare, just put on some sunglasses.

I read through some of the comments at Todd's blog as well -- some of those people really need to relax.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your readers are way too polite. Allow me once again to lower the tone of this conversation and say something that needs saying.

Nice legs!

10:49 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks Doug :-)

11:15 AM  
Blogger michael jensen said...

Yeah, Murray is the bomb. We love him down under!

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home